News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Mythologies

Started by Xepher, September 27, 2006, 04:04:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xepher

I read an interesting article recently, about children in Miami homeless shelters developing their own religion/mythology. It's a long article, but very interesting. I got chills thinking about children coming up with such a dark mythos all at the same time, but it is a really clever solution to the Problem of Evil.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/Issues/1997-06-05/news/feature_print.html

I guess what got me, is it's one thing for someone like Nietzsche to ponder philosophical points for years, and finally declare "God is dead." But for 8 year old children to come to the conclusion that God went insane from grief after Mary killed Jesus... that's just dark.

Databits

(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

Josiah Tobin

Very interesting read. Perhaps disturbing, yes, but somewhat inspiring. I guess 'interesting' really is the best word I can use to describe it.
Though... Publishing these "secret stories" in a magazine? I wouldn't think the children would be too happy, but I guess I can't really say. :p

ScareCrow

*shivers* I almost believe it, y'know? See, I don't believe in coincidences; I think everything happens for a reason. The sheer idea that all of those shetler children believed and knew the same thing was chilling... From different places too! Chicago, Miami, etc....

Very interesting indeed.
>Jenn's siggy: "Fear of the unknown is a powerful force, one which can either drive you to insight or hysteria."
>Bear's siggy: "If your life was a story, who would want to read it?"