News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Logo/Identity feedback? -last new thread for awhile on my part..! =0)

Started by Munerift, January 24, 2007, 06:47:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munerift

Hello, can I get some feedback on this? I was going for something simple, but yet recognizable for my design work.

*EDIT*

(for comparison side by side)

It's black as a base to change to whatever color I desire. There's no one around my home to ask and by daugher (17 months old) can't pay attention to the comp screen long enough to laugh or scream at it... so I'm hoping you all will give me some input. You've given me really good pointers before hand so I was hoping we could do it one last time... =P
I'm Home!
MuneRift - DeviantArt - Etsy

Xepher

It looks okay, but it might be too simple. As you're basically trying to sell yourself as a designer, it might be better to have a couple more elements in your logo. People tend to assume that your own stuff is your best work, so everything for your own site needs to be very carefully done. Fine line between showing your skill, and showing off.

EX: The logo I used for my personal computer repair business back in colorado.

In hindsight, I'd remove the gradient/grey background in the middle. The "O" and "S" came out quite nice, as they're bordered, transparent, and have shadows, and the words aren't just stuck there, but rather integrated with the otter, following the lines of its body. The head coming through the "O" really shows that it was a planned/creative logo, not just words on a picture. All of these help with the "professionalism." On the other hand, the casual font, and the use of the otter itself both completely overwhelm that and pull the overall impression back way into "friendly" territory. Of course, my target market was people having problems with their personal computers, many of whom are afraid of technology, or at least semi-hostile towards it. As such, I wanted a logo that screamed friendly/personable more than anything else. For a company targeting businesses like you are, I wouldn't aim nearly so much on friendly but much closer to professional. The toes on the "o" you have are probably enough of a nod toward friendly. I'd say just try to find one or two more "complications" you can add to it, so it's more than just text, and becomes a logo. You don't need anything overly graphical/busy like I did though. Ah... found it, this is about the mix of professional/friendly I think you should aim for.

It's not MUCH more than words on an image, but it is just enough more to make the difference, IMHO.

griever

Maybe some kind of cat themed background?  Minimalist to fit with the rest, but just something to make it pop.
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)

Xepher

Pretty sure she's going with "wolf" judging by her avatar and the paw-print (as well as everything else I've seen of her stuff.) Cat paw-prints (except for a cheetah's) don't have claws out... just check the xepher.net logo. :-)

Munerift

Well, I got playing around tonight... and it's not a big change mind you but I stopped doing what I was planning because it seemed to 'click' so well, at least to me.

What about this one?

I'm Home!

fesworks

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

griever

Ah, right...stupid me.  Although...to dig my pit a little deeper, I thought her logo was a cat....
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)

Munerift

Quote from: fesworksoh MUCH better!
Thanks! I went to get some kind of a logo or motif to add, and then I thought "why not play around more with that 'o'? That may actually be fun, and then work on a logo to go with it..." and then once I had done it, I thought maybe adding more would be on the verge of too much then.

Quote from: grieverAh, right...stupid me.  Although...to dig my pit a little deeper, I thought her logo was a cat....
Not stupid, and now that you mention it; I can see how that picture looks kind of like a cat. lol. But nope: all wolf here! If you're interested, check out 'therianthropes' or 'animal people' sometime... DONT GET CONFUSED WITH 'FURRIES' THOUGH!
I'm Home!

Gwyn

Pizza party! Pizza for everyone!....who has money?

Databits

(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

Munerift

"Furries" tend to dress up in specially made suits and act/pretend they are human-sized animals.

Therianthropes (modern) can be defined by Wikifur (http://furry.wikia.com/wiki/Therian)as such:

"are people who believe that they have an intrinsic, personal, and integral connection to (an) animal(s). That is to say that part of their core being is animal, be it spiritually, mentally, et cetera. Unlike furry lifestylers, therians do not try to outwardly project their animalistic nature, nor do they choose the animal side they are inherently born with. Therians may also be called "shifters", though this can be a contentious term as a growing number feel they do not actually change from one state to another and more reflect a human-animal state by having an animal soul and a human body."

I identified myself as a therianthrope for a long time, but over the years the 'therianthropic' community in general has really moved towards a dark and demented state; one which I do not wish to partake in. I prefer the term 'animal-person,' but that's just a small faucet of who I am as a whole. I merely use 'therianthrope' as an identifying marker to other individuals like me.

I believe I am a wolf. I am walking around as a human, yes, but part (if not all) of my soul is that of a wolf. I don't know if I've lived a previous life as a wolf, and I don't worship a wolf god or any non-sense as such, and I most certainly have no illusions that I can shape shift into a physical wolf... but the core is Canis Lupus. If you met me in real life, other than drawing wolves or seeing a pair of earrings I have; you'd never suspect me as anything different than your typical, overweight young woman.

Further reading: http://furry.wikia.com/wiki/Therianthropy
I'm Home!

Xepher

Paw-print looks better, but the rest of the text is still kinda just sitting there. Maybe just hand-draw it a bit more? Perhaps let the ends of the "S" extend below mune, and across the top of "studios" to become the cross on the T as well or something. I don't really know.

Quote from: "Munerift"DONT GET CONFUSED WITH 'FURRIES' THOUGH!
What've you got against furries? Perhaps you're confusing furries with "furverts" like most people do? I've always used the term furry to mean "animal people" and include Therians (who believe they are part animal as a factual/spiritual truth) as a subset of that group. Sadly that means it also includes dozens of other subsets, many of which are childish, perverted, or often both. I don't believe in judging an entire group by its worst members though, and I like the word "furry" even if people tend to associate it with negative stereotypes. Just because some furries act like carnival freaks doesn't make me one, anymore than being a Texan makes me an ignorant red-neck.

As for my own tastes, I like to take things more seriously than most furries. I like realistic, meaningful stories most of the time, with actual consideration given to details, both physical and psychological. Don't get me wrong, I still watch "cartoons" but they're just fun, not what I "identify" with. Heck, I'd almost use the word Therianthrope for myself, save that I don't actually believe I'm part animal (or a shapeshifter) but merely wish I was.

Oh, I just remembered I wrote an essay about this years ago after I first "discovered" anthropomorphics/furry/whatever. Mainly, it was a response to some of the debates going on at the time about the use of the word. There was even an entire site dedicated to furries and the bad press they were getting in the news. My essay was originally posted there about 5 years ago, but the site stopped updating shortly afterwards. Anyway, for those that want my opinion on it, http://pressedfur.coolfreepages.com/essay/define-thyself.html A lot of it doesn't necessarily apply anymore, but my main points still stand.

Munerift

I should apologize... I didn't mean that all 'furries' are bad or perverted, or other unbecoming adjectives. (you are right, you’re proof right now) …and I just did what I wished others wouldn't do to me and I need to learn from that. I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to imply that I think less of anyone just because they happen to identify themselves as a furry & I hope I didn’t step on anyone’s toes permanently.

I do like that “furverts
I'm Home!

fesworks

"Furverts" is a new term to me... I just knew the word "Yiffers" in place of that :P

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Xepher

Mune: I should clarify too... I wasn't taking what you said as a personal attack or anything. I was not offended by what you said at all, as the majority of people do have the same stereotype in their head and it's not their fault that most of the visible furries out there are freaks... Also, I didn't mean to attack you (or anyone) with my rant there, I was just casually stating my point of view... at least I meant it that way. Reading it now, I can easily see how it sounded like I was angry. But I assure you, there were mental smilies throughout that whole paragraph that didn't seem to actually make it through to my keyboard. :-) My state of mind was about the same as if you had called American "Cheese" a cheese (rather than a cultured dairy product.) I have a habit of taking a mock-serious approach to discussing trivial issues. (To quote a former roommate, "I refuse to engage in a structural engineering discussion of a banana over breakfast.") The "mock" bit just doesn't come across so well in text sometimes. So no worries, eh!

On a side note, a google search for "not a furvert" turns up the essay I linked above as the first result. :-)