News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

know of any good free file hosting sites

Started by griever, April 01, 2007, 06:02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

griever

I want to add a section of downloads to my site (all legal!), but I don't want to use up Xepher.net resources to do so.  The files will be comparatively large (0.5-3MB each) and I'm anticipating on there being a lot of them.  I know of Yousendit, RapidShare, and Megaupload, but those three sites only let you have files up for 7-30 days.  I'm looking for something a little more permanent.

Does anyone have a file hosting service that they'd recommend?  I've never really had to store anything before, so I have no idea about what's good and what's bad.
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)

Xepher

What is it you're wanting to host? I mean, if it qualifies under the general guidelines here, there ARE resources to go around... I just don't like people wasting them on things like... say, a 1GB "Spam" email folder (I've seen several of those here.)

griever

Sims 2 unfurnished houses....  *hides*  I used to want to be an architect before the male-dominated atmosphere drove me up the wall and sent me crying into computer science...not the smartest choice I made, but they are both enjoyable hobbies.

Xepher

Go ahead and put 'em up. I'll let you know if it becomes a problem or anything.

griever

Thanks, Xepher! ^-^  Each file about 1 MB, so it shouldn't be too bad, I hope.  I'm planning on adding a download counter before I add that section to my site, so in the event that I make a lot, I can prune the unpopular collection.

fesworks

Right now I am having 1 MB MP3s of webcomic reviews. I have 13 up at the moment.

I guess I'll find out if it becomes a problem too.

If so, I'll need an off site host... or something.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Xepher

I don't think it'll be a problem for either of you, especially with the new server, storage space shouldn't be a problem for a long time. We'll have just about a terabyte. As for bandwidth, well, no offense... but neither of ya'll really even make a blip on the radar. Fes uses rather a bit more, and that's even less than 1% of the total, and only 1/4 of that is his mp3 files.

Point is, hosting is what I'm doing on purpose... If you're actually creating and sharing stuff, that's the whole point. I have no problem with people using resources, I just don't like people WASTING 'em.

griever

No offense taken...I'm actually glad I don't take up a lot of room.  If I ever get to be a serious blip, I'll start forking over cash.  At the rate I've been going, it might take 20 years.  x.x

fesworks

haha, maybe you need to make a few more connections with people, Griever.

I know that what helped me was making relationships with webcomickers at various opportunities. Also, being involved in various other communities helped... and if you are already doing this, stick with it! I'm not getting ubber hits or anything, I'm just saying it helps more than nothing... and if you already know this, well, I'm not meaning to be preechy :P

Anyway, I still use Photobucket for random pictures because it's a little quicker, and most of them tend to be things I only use once or twice :P

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

griever

Most of the people I need to make connections with do graphics.  No one cares about information.  It's all about huge graphics with big anime eyes.  Most of the sites that I'd like to affiliate with are either blogs (and concerned about opinion), switched to forums, or dead.  I like anime, but the fans drive me up the wall sometimes.  Most of the time.  I want to smash them with the squeaky mallet o' doom.

With the change, hits have dropped off, but I'm guessing that they'll pick up again in the next 6 months.  By pick up, I mean go back to their 100 or so a day.  x.x