News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

How do I use WinSCP?

Started by tmazanec1, November 25, 2007, 03:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmazanec1

Please explain in words of one syllable :-)

otrstf

I've not used it, but since everyone else is probably in a turkey-induced coma, have you seen this very informative guide?

http://winscp.net/eng/docs/getting_started

otrstf

Xepher

That guide should hopefully get you started. If you don't know what to pick during installation, the default settings should work just fine. The only xepher.net specific information you need is to know that the hostname is "www.xepher.net" (normally it's just "xepher.net" but we're having DNS problems still... should be fixed by tomorrow though) and your username and password. The program is meant to be really easy to use. Once it connects, you can simply drag and drop files just like you would when copying stuff on your local computer. Feel free to play around with it, and remember that I have nightly backups of all your files here, so if you accidently mess something up, just let me know and I can restore things to just about any point in the past 6 weeks. If you have any specific questions, go ahead and ask here and I'll try and answer.

Also, I do apologize that I never got to your email from a week or so ago. I just haven't had time to try and update your pages myself. Besides, it's better if you do get used to winscp and can then update whenever you feel like.

tmazanec1

I have not been able to "move" files...I get a parallel list. When I tried copying and overwriting, it said it worked. But now my lyrics corrections is still the old one, and my main webpage is simply GONE. Ahhh...help!
P.S. I only plan to update my Lyrics Corrections when a major new song correction comes in anyway...maybe it would be best if you just updated my site with the new info I sent you and I will not risk blowing up my website for anything short of a new song correction...and I rarely get those now. I have written pretty much everything significant which I intend to write, anyway...I just want it to be available on the web. Sorry, Xepher  :-[

Xepher

Well, the parallel view you get is your computer on one side, and the server on the other. You can drag and drop files back and forth as you want that way, without needing to open additional windows. Why don't you try it a little more and see if you can get it to work. Don't worry about messing things up too much, as I have backups I can restore in the worst case. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't want to help you, but it really would be better if you can learn to do this on your own, then maybe you'll be more prone to make updates, even for more minor things.

As for the current "brokenness" of the page... It looks like you simply uploaded "webpage.html" to the wrong folder. It needs to go inside the "public_html" folder, along with the rest of your site. You put it one folder above that. You should be able to just drag the file into "public_html" and fix things.

tmazanec1

Ooohhh...kaayyy. That circle witha slash is actually a good sign. Gotta remember that (which is why I am putting it here).