News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Life Without Life

Started by Lifew/outlife, April 09, 2008, 03:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lifew/outlife

Hello.I like what your doing here, and I've been looking for a decent host for the comic that I would like to do. I came upon this site from one of the comics I read, Dan and Mab's Furry Adventures. After reading the "Instructions (Read before posting)" thread, I decided to give my luck a go. Onward to battle I suppose.

Alrighty then, lets discuss my Inability to draw. I'm working on my art work, and I figured "Hey, looking back at some other peoples web comics, their first bit of archives are really.... bad, just like how I am now. I wonder, if I start a comic, will my art work improve over time like everyone Else's? I hope so."

Here are my only examples of my artwork. http://truealchiemist.deviantart.com/gallery/#_browse

yes, I know, it's not that bad, but you haven't seen my attempt at drawing people. I hope to one day be a great artist, but for now, I'll settle with practice.

I do have some skill in the ways of HTML coding, and I have a very large book that teaches one to read and write in HTML (About 630 or so pages) and I have done some HTML coding myself, but nothing have I posted.

Username: lifew/outlife

Website name: lifewithoutlife

My email: mcdermott.thomas@gmail.com

Site Description:
Well, it will be a webcomic, with full archives of previous comics (Like any other webcomic) and will hopefully one day have downloads such as backgrounds and icons and the like. Underneath the comic will be a place for me to post things like what's to come and any reason as to why I stopped uploading or something of that case. There will probably be an external link to a proboards forum that will let the readers discuss things like what's going to happen next and whatnot. Also, I was hoping to add in a page of some stories that I write every once in a while.

What the comic itself will be about: It sets place in a city like New York, New York, and the main character (Whoe's name I haven't decided on) loses his girlfriend, his job, his apartment, and in the end, his life. But he wakes up in a foreign land, full of monsters and magic. There he meets up with a lookalike of someone familiar, but he cant remember who it was. The two start a grand adventure to find the rare material called Escoda so as to forge the mightiest weapons imaginable to stop the antagonist who I haven't really developed thus far. Along there way to the first town, they meet up with Pip, the Gnome Illusionist. Later on, they meet up with Gerald, who incidentally is actually working for the bad guy. On their way, they meet up with probably 1 or 2 more characters who join their quest to stop the evil (Still haven't decided on what the evil will be and what he's doing that so...evil) before it is too late. More to come as I think up of more.

I believe that The Challenge is in order, so by all means, Xepher, ask away.

Oh yeah, before I forget: I will make a "backstock" of comics so that I don't fall behind too much, and I'll update twice a week, once on Monday and once on Friday (Saturday morning because of my job may interfere)

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that one day, if this comic becomes slightly popular, I hope to sell merchandise related to the comic. Also, is it ok if we sell banner space to other web comics?
The Cookie Monster now eats healthy.... all is lost...

Lifew/outlife

Oh, and if anyone has anything to say, please feel free. Comments are welcome. Tips are enjoyable.

fesworks

Well, to be honest, I think it'd be best if you had more to present before you actually get an account. You have 4 art images and too many future plans, with nothing substantial.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Lifew/outlife

Quote from: fesworks on April 10, 2008, 12:17:19 AM
Well, to be honest, I think it'd be best if you had more to present before you actually get an account. You have 4 art images and too many future plans, with nothing substantial.
True, but the reason as to why I only have 4 art images is because of 2 things. 1) All of my artwork that I had done was either too incomplete, to badly drawn, or lost. 2)The few images that I do have that I can use, I have problems with the scanner with them (Like the Vespa, that's only 1/4 of the full art) and I only have access to a scanner for short periods of time. But if I have my own web page, then I have reason to actually buy a scanner.

For the coding, as proof of the little skill I have, I'll make a mock webpage code. Right now, though, I only have Notepad because my computer faltered and I have to send it in for repair, the mother board is faulty. Running Microsoft Word really hurts my computer right now. I hope to send it in next week. I do have a back up computer, but it is incredibly slow (It's a 2000 model with terrible specs. 400MB processor FTW!) and I'm not even sure if it has Word on it. The CD rom drive is busted on that one.

I'll have the code up either friday or saturday with my work schedual.

Lifew/outlife

Oh, and I do have this to say: Even if I get denied, I will try to stick around. Looking at what's been posted thus far, you guys have interesting things to say. I hope to add to that "interestieness" one day.

Xepher

Well, I'm sorry to say, I am going to deny this. Like Fes said, you've got nothing much to show, and your art skills are self-admittedly poor. It's obvious your just starting out with art, and so you've got a lot of room for improvement. You're welcome to reapply 6 (or more) months from now if you feel you've improved, or otherwise have more to show.

Lifew/outlife

Quote from: Xepher on April 11, 2008, 02:24:00 AM
Well, I'm sorry to say, I am going to deny this. Like Fes said, you've got nothing much to show, and your art skills are self-admittedly poor. It's obvious your just starting out with art, and so you've got a lot of room for improvement. You're welcome to reapply 6 (or more) months from now if you feel you've improved, or otherwise have more to show.

I thank you for taking the time to look at my humble request, and I do hope to one day be accepted, but until that day, this will have to suffice:
http://lifewithoutlife.smackjeeves.com/

I'm going to change the layout when I have time, they have a spot to where you can custom make your site (HTML).

Before I even looked at this tonight, I decided that if it falls through now, it'll be ok. I'll use this Smack Jeeves site for a little while, then once I've built up a decent archive of comics, to reapply here. Hopefully then, I'll have enough knowledge on HTML to be able to make a site fully functional (Graphics and all). Thank you for your time, and I'll still stick around. Once my comic starts off, I'll start a new thread and put the link in, and you guys can, by all mean, tell me what I'm doing wrong and such.