News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

New Art Challenge Forum :)

Started by JM, July 12, 2008, 09:28:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JM

I felt bad that I missed out on the original "Art Challenge" topic started by phantasus! I didn't feel like I should drag out the old thread, so I thought I'd start up a new one!

- Once a week a topic is chosen.
- You draw something about that topic before the week is up.
- You can spend as much time on it as you want, but it's preferred that this is for practicing quick drawing/painting.
- It can be lack & white, monotone, or full blown color, whatever you like!

So, you guys up for it?
We could also change the time from one week to longer, if that might encourage more to try. Some people lead busy lives but would still like to have a little fun.

Also, suggestions for topics would be great! :)

Remember, give credit to phantasus and thank 'em for such a great idea. ;D
Original thread: http://xepher.net/forum/index.php?topic=571.0

Shmooi

Sounds awesome~

I think a week is a pretty good amount of time for practice works but that could just be me.
Hmm, crazy topics and strange angles would be cool to get out of the monotony of everyone's comfort zone.

Xepher

I love the idea... I'll even chip in, but it'll be limited to my stick-figure level of artistic "skill." :-)

dragyn

Well, I'm game.  Just don't expect me to suggest a theme...

Desh

I'll join in too.  As for theme, if you want something abstract-y, random words and phrases tend to be entertaining ;)

"Why won't the bush average the incentive?", "The tourist disappoints the conceivable employee.", and "The football smiles over my individual."

I think there's ancient, arcane wisdom in there...

JM

Quote from: Desh on July 18, 2008, 04:30:10 PM
I'll join in too.  As for theme, if you want something abstract-y, random words and phrases tend to be entertaining ;)

"Why won't the bush average the incentive?", "The tourist disappoints the conceivable employee.", and "The football smiles over my individual."

I think there's ancient, arcane wisdom in there...

Hahah those are pretty random... why don't we go for "The football smiles over my individual"?

Uhmm ending date is July 25th! :]

Xepher

Dang you! Within moments of reading that phrase, my brain leapt to an incredibly clear (and awesome) image that's just perfect. But I REALLY suck at drawing, and the image in my head would be difficult even for a skilled artist, as it involves extreme perspective, and difficult anatomy/pose. Of course, now that I know what's "ideal" in my head, I can't satisfy myself trying anything less complicated. So now it's 5am and I'm still trying to sketch stuff that I have no hope of finishing. :-P

Xepher

Muwahaha! I finished it... of a sort. I wanted to do a really "hand drawn" piece of art with more extreme perspective. I also wanted to draw it as one of my furry avatars... But as I've previously mentioned, I suck at drawing. So I resorted to taking a photo of myself (btw, it's really hard to get a picture of yourself doing a flip kick when you have no one else to hold the camera) and then drawing a vector image of the top and adding a soccer ball with the evil grin. I figure "football" means soccer to most of the world, so this was only fair. My right hand was holding the camera remote... and yes, my 2nd and 3rd toes on that foot are actually webbed.

JM

Awww I like vector art! :D Yours is hilarious! Especially with the little story behind it~

Lucky you and your fast working brain. I'm still figuring out what to draw. That topic IS really random hahah

tickyhead

I'm not sure whose face scares me more, Xeph...the guy's or the ball's. It's a complement, honest!

Ah what the hell, I'll get in on this too. Here's mine!

I tried to play with perspective, which I feel like I'm slowly getting better at...slowly.

For some reason, a smiling football made me think of the Cheshire Cat...so that's what I drew. Then I got bored so I added filters galore. Whoo!

Total time...probably 20 minutes.
I don't hate everyone, I'm just very, very disappointed in them.

Desh

Sweet stuff!  Though I think Xepher's ball is trying to take control of my mind...

I spent a while thinking about mine, then settled on a football-ish moon:

Took about 20 minutes.

JM

Unique smile, tickyhead! :] Reminds me of the Cheshire cat~

The moon is awesome, especially as a football. Makes me feel like I'm in a cool dreammmmmmm. Awesome idea, Desh!! ;D

tickyhead

Quote from: JM on July 25, 2008, 09:13:48 AM
Unique smile, tickyhead! :] Reminds me of the Cheshire cat~

Um...That's what it is. So, thanks?

Well it's after the 25th, anyone want to put up a new challenge?

Xepher

I got one... I'm always inspired by song lyrics, so this is a theme/image from one of my favorite dystopian songs, "The Fall" by Peter and The Wolf. It asks the question "Who were you, before the Fall?"

So I suggest "before and/or after The Fall" as the theme.

Here's the song on youtube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXC4Ucg5els Also check out the Tuvan Igil acoustic version, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT03SqfxF7Y

Note: I'm not suggesting you just try to recreate the images from the song, but rather just use it as mood/idea fodder for your own ideas about The Fall.

tickyhead

Well damn, it hasn't gone two weeks and we're already losing steam! This simply won't do!

Here's mine, it's just a quick concept sketch more than anything, but what the hell:

Everything gets more badass after an apocalypse, that's just how it goes.