News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

New Art Challenge Forum :)

Started by JM, July 12, 2008, 09:28:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tickyhead

I'm a fan of GIMP at the moment, mostly because it's free. That way I don't have to risk my computer by downloading a cracked file that has a virus, or only comes in German.
I don't hate everyone, I'm just very, very disappointed in them.

Shmooi

I wonder how many people are going to rush their's in today.

Ah and tickyhead, yours was cool. 8D I liked the way you interpreted the theme.

tickyhead

Alright, it's two days past the deadline, so you all missed out on that one! I'm gonna go ahead and say that the next challenge will be JM's last suggestion: "Monsters are Waiting."

Just to mix it up, here's a second challenge: do the drawing in the style of your favorite artist and/or comic book. This is totally optional, of course, but that won't stop me from trying!

since two weeks seems to be slightly more agreeable, we'll say this ends two weeks from last Friday, on August 29th.

Hope you don't mind me stepping in, JM. ;)

Xepher

Yeah, I haven't been able to participate because I've been busy acquiring the new job. I probably won't be in on this round either, but we'll see.

JM

No problem! I'm on my way to college so most of my things are all packed away. Hopefully I can find a way to slip into this one, though. :X Sorry about being such a terrible thread monitor.  :'(

Sheera

Quote from: tickyhead on August 18, 2008, 12:08:03 AM
[...] I'm gonna go ahead and say that the next challenge will be JM's last suggestion: "Monsters are Waiting." [...]

Took me about ten minutes and came out quite decent. If only my scanner hadn't turned it grey... ^^;

Xepher

I just can't see a monster in a closet and not think of Monsters Inc. nowdays. Thus it takes all the "creepiness" out of it. Still, nifty sketch for something that quick. I could spend 5 times that long just doing a stick figure.

Sheera

Hrm. Well, when I think of closet monsters it's more something like 'The Boogeyman' or the corn beast ('Children of the Corn') by Stephen King. oO Like in really freaking scary.

If you don't know that story then I highly recommend it. You'll never think of Monsters Inc. again. ^^

Oh, and I forgot to put in the title of the pic. Once I had finished it I couldn't stop thinking how fitting it would be to have his mother call from the kitchen: 'Timmy, stop fooling around and go to bed already!' He just looks like a Timmy. xD

JM

I was one of those rare (?) kids who liked the pitch black when it came to bedtime. My cousins would always want a nightlight or the door open, and then I'd tell them that there were no monsters (I was a bossy kid, haha)

Still, classic monster-in-the-closet themes are always fun. :) I think it represents the imagination children have, whether it creates something they love or fear.

Awesome sketch!   :)

tickyhead

I never had a monster in my closet. What I did have was Alvin, the imaginary little boy who occasionally turned into a big hairy monster, but I never told anyone. We were bestest fwiends before I shot him into space on my swing set...now he reads bedtime stories to little aliens, and doesn't turn into a monster anymore.

I was a weird child. But I do love the classics, good job Sheera!

Mine's coming soon, honest...I just have to draw it. >>;

Sheera

I must admit I never liked the black. It still creeps me out nowadays, that's part of why I never wanted to live alone. Who knows what's lurking there... oO

And no, my imagination is not running wild from all the horror movies/stories I've seen/read. They merely managed to give a name to the things I always see in the pitch black. T__T Bleh. Good for me that I have my fiancee to cling on to now. It's really fun. ^^

@ tickyhead: Well, just get the drawing on with! I was wondering for a couple of days myself wether to participate or not. But once I started it felt natural and I will try to participate in future contests. ^__^ Trust me, you just have to jump over your shadow and start drawing, then time is no longer a matter. ; P

tickyhead

Right then, Here's mine! Nothing but a simple pencil sketch, but that's what this is all about isn't it?

Yeah, it's a monster in a waiting room. Well, he's waiting ain't he? :P I was going to make a werewolf, but then I added little horns and wings and it became some strange amalgamation monster. I think he's cute.

He's pissed at bears because while I was doing this I had a really stupid line from House stuck in my head; "I couldn't tackle the bear."

Sheera

... I don't get it. ^^;

Why is he/she/it going to the doctor's? Because of the werebears?

Like the sketch tho, the monster looks really good!

JM

Muwahahaha it's  new challenge time! (If you post for last challenge sometime late today, that's okay too. :P)

"The Colors You Shine"  ;D

End date: 9/12

P.S. Sorry about no updates. I lost my tablet charger when I moved to college (it'll cost $40 to replace :() and I didn't pack my scanner. Sorrrrryyy ;___;

tickyhead

Quote from: Sheera on August 29, 2008, 04:57:00 PM
... I don't get it. ^^;

Why is he/she/it going to the doctor's? Because of the werebears?

Like the sketch tho, the monster looks really good!

He
has a black eye, an arm in a sling, one wing ripped off, and the other wing bandaged.

He obviously isn't there for a general check-up, if you get what I'm saying. ;)

JM: No problem, no worries! That stuff always happens when you least expect it...and always at the worst possible moment.