News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Why not another news box question!

Started by schwarzkreuz, August 03, 2008, 09:35:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

schwarzkreuz

I just noticed that my site doesn't display the banner or news box or anything xepher related. It used to display fine I guess it must have stopped since I've been updating but I don't know what i might have done. I haven't changed that section of code since I started here.

Did I miss something regarding this? If so can anyone help me out?

Xepher

The newsbox/banner code hasn't changed since the new server. However, if it's really been that long since it worked, check http://xepher.net/help.php for instructions concerning the current box. If that doesn't help, post a link with the page you THINK should work, and then I can determine what's wrong.

schwarzkreuz

Got it working, now I'm just having trouble centering it.

schwarzkreuz

Miluette

I tend to have trouble centering the Xepher box and other things, too. In fact, concerning things like that, divs inside divs, and other elements, they never seem to center when some things do... e_e (Maybe I should start a thread about that sometime, too.)
And wasn't it you who told me,
"The sun would always chase the day"?

Sheera

Quote from: schwarzkreuz on August 14, 2008, 02:40:21 AM
Got it working, now I'm just having trouble centering it.

Just how exactly did you center it? I tried it with <p align="center"> but that didn't work for the banner. Odd enough, it only NOT works on the banner.

fesworks

EDIT: Oh crap... you are right! It DOESN'T work!

Mine is within tables, so the table/cell is aligning it.. not < p align> nor < center>

Is there a javascript aligning code? Maybe that would work.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Xepher

The newsbox is formatted entirely using CSS, which can often override/break older formatting (like the <center> tag.) If I didn't use CSS however, then it wouldn't look right for anyone who IS using CSS to setup their page. Web standards are very annoying right now. If anyone has a better solution, I'm always happy to tweak the newsbox code.

fesworks

I should really learn some CSS coding for my web pages... I kinda got shunned a couple episodes ago on The Webcomic Beacon for all the tables I use... also for not using "strong" tags instead of the "b" bold tags... I also use Frontpage Express....

Partly off-topic,... actually, I'll start a new thread elsewhere.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Sheera

I've done it with a table now. Works fine. Thanks, fes. ^^

griever

"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)

Xepher

Yeah, nested CSS positioning is one of the most annoying things about CSS currently. CSS3 is supposed to fix a lot of that, but nothing really supports it yet. Thanks for the working example though Griever.

Miluette

Hmm...
Everything on my main hub page is centered except the Xepher newsbox. See here: http://www.senshuu.com I guess I'll try the above!

I have trouble centering things however, and stuff like forms and dropdown lists (and divs with percentage widths rather than a hard number) will randomly not be centered when everything else is. If I can overcome this problem finally then I'll be just... so happy!

Also, since I don't want to start a new thread for this: Xepher, can you make a petite newsbox? One button-sized, or maybe long (horizontally) and thin? <3 I just love smaller button versions of things... When using banners, I usually go for the smaller ones.
And wasn't it you who told me,
"The sun would always chase the day"?

Xepher

If you can't get the centering to work, let me know and I can try and work on it with you. Definitely try the suggestion above though.

As for the "button-sized" newsbox. I'm afraid not. The whole purpose is to be an ad for other sites here, and tiny buttons don't really provide any space for them to plug their site. You don't HAVE to put it on the splash/first page though. My requirement is just a general "most people will see it" thing. So you could put whatever fits best on your three subsites, and bury them a little deeper down the page or what there if you want.

fesworks

You can always put it in a table or a table's cell where the contents is centered. I know that works.

A table on such a small page should not have to worry about loading too much. Though I know too many tables with a lot of info can cause slow loading.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com