News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Nameserver help please

Started by Zumi, September 08, 2008, 01:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zumi

i have baught a domain name "Kia-tk.com" for my site hosted on xepher. however it needs botht he names and ip addresses of the name servers.
ns1.xepher.net
ns2.xepher.net

but i dont know the ip addresses, can someone help me with this matter please?

Xepher

It shouldn't need the IPs, unless you're trying to create your own nameservers. See if there's another option to set nameservers, instead of creating your own. Failing that, see if it'll work if you leave the IP blank. If not, you can try the IP 208.53.136.90 for both. It may just be double checking things. Try to avoid using the IP if you can though, as it may cause problems for you if/when it ever changes.

Zumi

tried but it wont accept the ip's being the same or the ip's being blank. :(

I could give you the login details for the domain name we baught so you can help easier if you want... I dont see why it wont let me.

Xepher

Yeah, if you want, email those to me (admin@....) and I'll take a look. It may be a day or two before I have a chance though. Make sure to include your username here, just to remind me. Also: If you go ahead and get the newsbox code in place, I can check that, and setup things on the server at the same time, meaning it'll all be working when I'm done.

FYI, I did see a private message from you about this... No, you can't just put in a new/wrong IP for the second server, as that IP might not even be a nameserver... and if it is, it might belong to someone else. Also note that I sometimes don't see private messages, so it's best to just use the threads unless you're including private information (like passwords and such.) But even then, I'd prefer you email me when it comes to that. Thanks!

Zumi

using cmd and the tracert command i found 2 consistent ip's on every xepher site directly before it finds its host. so i have put those two as the nameserver ip's.

can you verify wether or not they are correct?

Xepher

No... NO NO NO! Please don't!

You cannot just randomly "find" or pick nameserver IPs. The IP has to actually belong to a NAMESERVER!

The IPs you found are routers. They aren't nameservers, and they most certainly don't belong to xepher.net.

Please try emailing me the login info for your registrar, as you mentioned before, and I'll try and fix it myself.

Sorry if I sound rude, I don't mean to be, but you seem about to do something very foolish. If you just pick random IPs you find, your site can be hijacked by whoever actually owns those IPs... that is of course, if they notice what's happening, but still, it's a big security no-no.

Zumi

i sent a mail to admin AT xepher.net a while ago...
about 2 days i think...

Xepher

I didn't get any mail... I searched my junk folder for yahoo.co.uk and got nothing from there at all.

Zumi

i'll resend the mail then...
(I didnt get a failed to send notification at all)

Xepher

Still got nothing... try xepher42 AT gmail.com

Zumi

sent to xepher42 at gmail.com

i copied the message from the previous 2 i sent

Xepher

I got it, and I made the changes... you're right, you can't properly set by name only. That place/site is braindead. I cheated and used another IP I actually own (but isn't a nameserver) for the second one just to get it to shut up. I updated things on the server end, but the donhost place said it could take up to 48 hours for them to put the changes through. It should just start working whenever that happens though.

Zumi

i owe you one lol
Kia also laughed and said "She likes how you talk" lol

Lets hope that the "Extra" Ip doesnt mess things up

Zumi

Additional...

WOO IT WORKS :) YAYNESS!!!!!

Xepher

Cool, glad it works for you.

Just out of curiosity, what is it about "how I talk" that made her say that?

(Don't worry, I won't be offended or anything.)