News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Any other WoW players here?

Started by Databits, July 22, 2005, 09:32:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Da_Pohli

I played WoW for a while but i changed over to Guild Wars. First the mothly fee made my pocket getting smaller and smaller and you had to play World of Warcraft nearly 4 to 5 hours a day to get a successful character.

AskZeek

Well, I have a few 60's on Dalaran, and a 30 on greymane.

But I'm excited about this one comming up.

www.ddo.com

Yeah, DnD.
When all the player's die...  the DM wins!

Databits

Heh... yeah about that. I cancelled my WoW subscription. Decided it was taking up too much time in my life and I have better things to do. I mean... I'd rather write and run my own game than sit and play one hours on end.

I also had a few thoughts about running a custom written RO server from the ground up. But to make it totally legal the server would need to actually be coded from the ground up and use a custom map format (rather than accessing the client map data like current open source servers).

For all that work I may as well put the effort into writing my own server and client eh?
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

thefemnazi

Quote from: XepherP.P.S. I'm suddenly saddened that I notice backwards mispellings by accident, yet have trouble properly spelling a vast majority of words forwards.
Ooh, I know why that is.  It has to do with how your brain works.

And I'm poor, so I play Runescape.  I used to play EQ, and probably will someday again.  I miss it.
"The world is not safe for my butt!" -Spongebob Squarepants

I worship Pantsless O'Clock.

Miluette

I want to play WoW. Badly. Because of money issues and time/college issues and dail up issues, I probably won't for yeaaars. I did RO and ROSE for a while... RO went P2P way long ago so I tried private servers, and they sucked (though it was nice being able to see Prontera) ... And ROSE is going P2P in November. So all I have left is Maple Story, which is only fun with my friend. :( Guh.
And wasn't it you who told me,
"The sun would always chase the day"?

Xepher

You create: [Cookies]
Your skill in cooking has increased to 247.

Perhaps I should've posted this under "You know you're a nerd when..." :-P

Kestenvarn

No, no. It fits the subject well.

tickyhead

man I love it when games have normal skills like cooking or fishing or other stuff like that. It gets boring if everything in the game is "generic tough hero" type stuff.
I don't hate everyone, I'm just very, very disappointed in them.

dragyn

Yeah, I played RuneScape awhile, but have long since given up due to a slow connection.  That, and the game got very repetitive if you didn't pay them.  Money hates me.  That's the only explanation I can think of as to why I never have any.  At least, the only answer I'm willing to offer.

tickyhead

meh, runescape was pretty much the only RPG where you can do mundane stuff that I didn't like. I dunno, it just didn't seem as fun as other games I've played. Granted the looks had a tiny effect on my like or dislike, but frankly when a graphic-heavy RPG has graphics so bad that even using my imagination doesn't make them look any better, I usually get bored of playing pretty fast P: besides, I've seen better games for free and insanely whacked out and high standards for RPGs.

I'm lucky enough that money tolerates me on occasion :) plus that I know these awesome neighbors who pay me $10 an hour to babysit their kid. Eeeeeasy money.

Databits

Quoteman I love it when games have normal skills like cooking or fishing or other stuff like that. It gets boring if everything in the game is "generic tough hero" type stuff.
Which is basically all RO is, except it has some appeal to it.

See, in games it's not important to make sure that the player can do everything. Actually, what you want to do it immerse the player to the point where they don't attempt to do things that the environment can't support. Meaning that if you give a player a fishing pole, they'll expect to be able to fish, if you let the player wade into water, they expect to be able to swim.

World of Warcraft did this very very well. Actually, even though you can't do everything, they basically set it up so that the players can do what they expect they can. They give you the fishing pole, and guess what? You can fish! I picked up this skinning knife, wow with practice (Skinning) I can actually skin things. Oh that's a nice herb, I wonder what it does (Herbalism)... hey that's really good! I think I'll pick it and make a potion out of it (Alchemy). I want my weapon to do elemental damage like creatures, perhaps I can use this essence and upgrade my weapon(s) to do just that (Enchanting).

Damn near perfect design for the game. They didn't add any elements to the game that would cause a player to expect to be able to do something that they couldn't do (to my knowledge).
(o.O)    

tickyhead

admittedly RO could use a lot more in the "mundane skills" area. Sure you can make weapons and potions IF you are a blacksmith/alchemist, but it's definitely more fun if anyone can do it . . . although that's kind of the point of blacksmiths and alchemists is that not everyone can do it, and if everyone could do then they would become unneeded and probably not be in the game, so they'd have to make up something else for a merchant to become, or just scrap the entire merchant idea entirely and put a different class in their place, and judging from the "taekwon" thing they're experimenting with on kRO that would just lead to an unnecissarily complicated job . . . I guess if you look at it from that perspective then it's a bit less grating that they don't have a cookie-making skill.

Hmmm, that would be a cool idea . . . a baking job instead of that stupid taekwon job . . . they can throw burnt cookies at their opponents and have frying pans and spatulas and big spoons as weapons, and bake healing items like cupcakes or muffins, and for their 2nd jobs they can be cooking show hosts or restaurant owners who can hire other little 1st job cooks and use them as cheap labor! Man that'd be cool. Bashing a poring with a giant wooden spoon would be fun.

Maybe when I get all that money for christmas/birthday I know I'm gonna get I'll buy WoW and try that out . . . I've seen it in action and it looks fun. Worst case scenario I can always sell it on eBay :P

Databits

Heh... well RO basically used a professions system instead of a standard class system. WoW used a profession system on top of a standard class system. RO wasn't built to allow people to use all the professions (broken class super novice anyone?). When people play RO and they are a swordie or acolyte, or even something like a priest or sader... you don't expect to be able to make weapons or potions on those characters because their roles are predefined in the game system and world.

Even the quests to obtain your "Job" gear you towards the mindset of that job. It's the design of it.
(o.O)    

Miluette

You know what?

Games where you can do everything make my head spin.

Example: Final Fantasy V. MADNESS

I like being told what my next class will be and its abilities are! *sheep*

Oh but mundane tasks are fun. Like fishing. I'd fish a lot in Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. LOL. I had to catch a 20 pounder.
And wasn't it you who told me,
"The sun would always chase the day"?

Databits

Horay for those who care about their look. ;)
(o.O)