News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Application Status: OPEN!

Started by Xepher, September 30, 2005, 03:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xepher

This thread and it's title will show the current application status. Do NOT post a new application if it is closed.

Current Status: Open!

And only six months later than planned! :-)

Xepher

That's right, it's open finally! I still have to rewrite some backend code to match the new layout *grumble* of the apache configs though.

Xepher

Well, dang it. My hard disk on my personal computer crashed. This will further delay me in getting around to reviewing applications. On a casual glance though, I see several that look quite promising already. Please be patient though.

Xepher

My luck never fails... I order TWO new hard drives. Put them in, turn on the computer, and things start locking up. One of the drive makes awful chirping/squeaking noises and throws dozens of errors. Looking deeper, it looks like my power supply is going bad. Replaced that and the drive is still bad. The second drive I'm testing now. It failed several self tests, but that could be because the computer kept locking up while it was being formatted.

Anyway, I'm typing this from the tiny laptop keyboard in the living room. I STILL don't have a functioning desktop, so it's gonna be a while before I start reviewing applications. As I said before though, a casual glance at some of them does show some nice art and such.

Xepher

Okay, RMAed the new drives and got back two new-new drives. They work. I'm running on 'em now and it's shiny happy fun. Now I have to get around to rewriting a bit of the back-end code to meet the new apache config layout and after that I can start reviewing applications. Oh, and I just had an old friend move to town, and we're trying to find a large place to move to, and etc. Life is hectic. I wouldn't have it any other way!

Xepher

I've rewritten enough of the back-end scripts that I _think_ it's about functional again. Looking at the code made me realize just how kludged together this whole thing has become. Chewing gum and bailing wire EVERYWHERE! :-) I'm considering reorganizing the whole back end and rewriting stuff to make sense again, but not today... got things to do.

Anyway, I am making progress towards being able to accept new people, but we're just not quite there yet.

Xepher

Decided not to rewrite the whole thing... not yet anyway. FDC (the datacenter where the server is hosted) has been having more and more problems lately, and I'm thinking I may be moving if it keeps up much longer. If that happens, it will probably involve me building an entirely new server, and I'll rewrite and clean up a lot of stuff then, when I have a non-live server to test on. If/when that happens (maybe 4-6 months from now) I should be able to pull a switch over with no down time at all.

As for applications, I'm gonna try and get to a lot of them this weekend. I don't make any promises though, as anytime I do, life seems to find a surprise way of making me break them. As a precursor to that, I'm gonna pull a little stunt here, one completely within my rights as benevolent dictator.

Here's the deal. I'm probably not going to get to all the applications this weekend, so I'm gonna give preference to those that post a reply on their application with the word "Diprotodon" in it. Yay for giant wombats!

There, now aren't you glad you took the time to read this whole message? :-)

Xepher

Well, seems not many people read said message, as only a couple applications used this "cheat code." Oh well.

To the rest of you, I apologize that these things are taking so long. My (real) life has just been rather tiresome as of late, and by the time I finally get home from fixing computers all day, the last thing I want to do is to sit down and spend more time with computers. Let this be a lesson to you kids; never let something that's an enjoyable hobby become a job. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but nothing ruins your motivation to do something quicker than being paid for it.

Anyway, as I said, sorry this is taking so long. Those of you that haven't posted anything on your application threads for a week or more, please just tag on a short post to let me know you're still around and interested. I figure half of the applicants here have probably left by now.

Xepher

This just in: I suck.
In other news: Works sucks.

I do apologize, I'm just horrible about getting around to this. I'm still trying. Holidays are coming up, and I'm not going anywhere, so I hope to dig through all of these by New Year's. I'll be reviewing all of the applications who have had posts made in December. (Basically anyone who responded in the last month.)

Xepher

OMFG I SUCK!

*frown* I hate that I haven't gotten to any of these in so long. I've hardly even been online these past few weeks. Anyway, I'll keep this short, and just say that due to various personal/real life issues, I am again apologizing instead of getting stuff done.

Xepher

In other news, I still suck. I don't mean to ignore all these applications... well, I don't WANT to, but real life is just kicking my tail up and down the street right now.

Xepher

Just in case anyone here doesn't read the rest of the forum... Go read the announcements section about "Status and Plans..." as it explains the recent trouble here and what I'm working to do about it.

Xepher

I'm processing applications again. Since it's been a while (a couple eons or so) since some of these were posted, I ask that everyone still interested make some sort of quick post on their application to let me know that. This will let me sort them by last post date, and weed out the people that are no longer interested or wandered off.

Xepher

I'm a bit behind with these again. I've moved recently, and I'm in the process of job hunting. So don't take offense if it's a while before I get to your application.

Xepher

I'm going through things again. If I haven't given you an answer on your application yet, feel free to post a bump there to bring it to my attention.