News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Statistics

Started by tapewolf, January 21, 2009, 04:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tapewolf

Is there any provision for website statistics at the moment?  A search wasn't too helpful as the system seems to have changed a lot in that regard.
While traffic is interesting, I'm particularly interested in tracking 404s, as I've found a lot of bad links that way.

"The main difficulty is getting [Qa'Dar] out of his cage.
Far and away the most reliable method I have found is mass-murder." -- The IT-HE guide to Morrowind

Miluette

I don't think there's stat tracking here at Xepher, but I use Statcounter. :D It's especially nice since it increased its visit log from 100 to 500 for new counters... I actually deleted and recreated some of my old counters just for that. There's a lot of stuff you can track with it, a whole lot, except 404s. There's probably a way to do it with Statcounter, but I wouldn't know. I tend to find most of my broken links myself.
And wasn't it you who told me,
"The sun would always chase the day"?

Databits

It'd be up to Xepher, but you could always ask him to set up awstats. It's a pretty widely used stats tracker.

The problem is, it requires a cron job to build the stats every so often from the logs. It also only really works if the logs are set up for it.
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

tapewolf

Quote from: Databits on January 22, 2009, 01:43:32 PM
It'd be up to Xepher, but you could always ask him to set up awstats. It's a pretty widely used stats tracker.
AWstats is what I'm using at the moment, actually.  I'll him about it.

Far and away the most reliable method I have found is mass-murder." -- The IT-HE guide to Morrowind

Xepher

Yeah, sorry, my documentation is pretty horrid at the moment, but there is a script already in place to do exactly what you're asking, using analog. The post about it was here http://xepher.net/forum/index.php?topic=437.msg6963#msg6963 but the gist of it is this.

Login via SSH and run the command "generate-web-stats" and then visit http://username.xepher.net/webstats/ (using your actual username.) It'll take a minute or two for stats to run, and it only has access to the current log files (e.g. this month.) I'm afraid the analog output may not be too useful for tracking 404s though. The log files are publically readable though, and located in /var/log/apache2/ The format is a bit strange though, as I had to set them up to be parseable for the virtualhosts. All the data from a normal CLF is there though.

Oh, and if anyone is curious, overall server stats are at http://xepher.net/stats/xepher-net/

I'm open to new suggestions for how to handle statistics, as the current system (logging included) was set up many years ago, and all the analyzers I looked at were pretty lame back then. I see better things from AWstats these days, and I've been considering trying it out again, but I'm looking for something that can sort by virtual hosts if possible.

tapewolf

Okay, thanks - I'll look into that later tonight.

Miluette

Quotebash: generate-web-statistics: command not found
I think I'm doing it wrong.

fesworks

Quote from: Xepher on January 22, 2009, 03:30:35 PM

Oh, and if anyone is curious, overall server stats are at http://xepher.net/stats/xepher-net/

The first referring site is just ... odd... anonib.com ? huh?

As usual, DMFA is a big search topic.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

tapewolf

Quote from: Senshuu on January 23, 2009, 04:35:24 AM
Quotebash: generate-web-statistics: command not found
I think I'm doing it wrong.
I used tab-completion so I don't remember what the command was, but it did the job (though it reminded me why I stopped using Analog).

Xepher

Try the full path for the command if it's not working

/usr/local/bin/generate-web-statistics

Miluette

QuoteCommand not supported by this protocol

D: lol I don't know anything about this.

Xepher

I'm becoming more and more convinced that I need to redo the entire statistics system here. I'm thinking about splitting logfiles up on a per-user basis as well, which will make it harder to get overall traffic reports, but will make site-by-site statistics a lot easier.

In the meantime, I have NO idea where you got that error from. You should be using Putty (or another SSH client) and running that command from the bash prompt.

fesworks

If you are using WinSCP, then go to COMMANDS > OPEN TERMINAL (also CTRL+T)... it has a little icon that looks like a mini DOS window with "NOM" or something in it.

Using this and the full path (/usr/local/bin/generate-web-statistics) worked for me... I mean, it seemed like it froze, but it said it would be several minutes....

My thing didn't have Putty.exe to run Putty... I think you told me to download it before, but that was on my old computer.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Miluette

Ohh, I see. The first time I error'd, I was using Cyberduck like I normally do on my mac. The last one I was in Filezilla, what I use on my PC.

I didn't want to download anything new, lol. Oh well.

Databits

You may also look into Google Analytics.
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]