News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

What are YOU doing with your life?

Started by Xepher, September 26, 2009, 04:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xepher

This kid apparently plays half a dozen instruments, recomposes songs, and sings in 3 languages. http://freddegredde.com/

I, on the other hand, was proud to play Row Row Your Boat on a telephone. :-/

Databits

I'm working on becoming an elite game developer, know nearly a dozen programming languages (some better than others), and can speak english. Does that count for anything? xD
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

otrstf

I guess I'm a test case for "how long can you stand to work your dream job?"  This summer I passed 20(!!) years playing/developing military simulations (wargames).  It is certainly not as fun as it was when I started, but I can't imagine what else I'd do.  Since managers (especially the ones in uniform) come and go, we reinvent a lot of wheels. People really can't learn from their mistakes, and history might as well never have happened.  I'm getting to the point where I can just dust off an old powerpoint slide presentation for just about any circumstance.

It has spoiled me for any _real_ job.  After all, this week I am sitting in a hotel in Bavaria, having just had a wonderful schnitzel and beer in an old ratskeller.  Three more weeks of this, at company expense!

Databits

(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

Gwyn

Pizza party! Pizza for everyone!....who has money?

fesworks

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

otrstf

JM

I sit around in college, wondering what to do with my life while my parents just tell me I'll figure it out eventually and not worry about it.

I know, real ambitious.

Pedes

JM, well the worst thing that can happen is when you go to a university and realize that is exactly what you do NOT want to do....

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

I am presently at scholarship by international exchange in Bielefeld, Germany. Seeing that my life seems to take quite sharp turns recently (the decision I would go was half a year ago and totally sudden) I really wonder where my life will go after that...

Gwyn

Or you could go to school and then get a job in what you actully trained for but discovering that the average pay for said job might be slightly over minimum wage. So you wasted 4 years and 30,000 bucks to make slightly more than at friggen McDonalds or LESS than at a call center.

AND THEN you realize that in a year with the minimum wage increases your province is planning what you're making now will be minumum wage and some kid right out of highschool will be making the same or more than you.

And it's not even just for me, it's most secondary graduates who experience this issue in my province as well. :(

Xepher

Yeah, I'd hate to think how little I'd be making if I had gone into journalism (what my degree is in) instead of computers. Of course, now that I'm trying to get out of IT, I'm back to minimum-wage level jobs it looks like. Yay.

JM

Glad that I have a lot to look forward to once I graduate. :(

Gwyn

I wish I could go back to school, but I don't qualify for student loans anymore because I pretty much stretched those out as much as I could and I can't afford to otherwise in the near future.

On the plus side I have alot of time to think about what I really should be going back to school for to get in a comfortable position where I make enough to get by on one job and somewhat enjoy what I'm doing (loving what I'm doing would be great but I can compromise :p )

Miluette

I have real issues with not having a steady job right now (I've been effectively jobless since graduating college, except for one job I knew was temporary when I got it), but freelancing's on the rise it seems! It just takes a few first steps!

I got an EIN number yesterday so now it's kind of like I'm all official now.

I could actually make it sound like I'm doing a lot with my life (involved with an amazing-looking print anthology to be pitched at publishers in January, dedicated to two webcomics even if they do update slowly, run a bunch of other sites, blogs, and portfolios, freelancing web design and illustration, applying to teach English in Japan which would be an amazing new life experience for me), but I'm still not making steady cash.

YET! *an optimist*
And wasn't it you who told me,
"The sun would always chase the day"?

dragyn

I'm trying to learn Java and C++ to a level where I actually stand a chance in any sort of industry where such skills are useful.

...maybe I'll hang out here more often, again.