News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Intellectual Property Run Amok

Started by Xepher, March 31, 2006, 12:29:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xepher

A good outline of the stupidity that is intellectual property law in the U.S.

http://www.motherjones.com/news/exhibit/2006/03/intellectual_property.html

The one I think they should've mentioned is that you can be sued for singing "Happy Birthday" as the song is still under copyright. This is why when you have a birthday at someplace like Friday's or Olive Garden, they have their own made-up song to sing. If they didn't, they'd have to pay fees.

ChaosArchivist

I weep at the utter stupidity of these "intellectual property" laws.  Since when did the land of free thinking become the land of think and we'll find a way to sue you?  And it's not even the government that's doing it, it's the major corporations...  Makes me wonder if I should see if any of my ideas are patented.
Observing Chaos in action since before the new millenium

cha0s

a couple that stood out to me:

QuoteRENTAMARK.COM makes money by claiming ownership of 10,000 phrases, including “chutzpah,” “casual Fridays,” “.com,” “fraud investigation,” And “big breasts.”

For INCLUDING a 60-second piece of silence On their album, the Planets were threatened With a lawsuit by the estate of composer John Cage, which said they’d ripped off his silent work 4’33”. The Planets countered that the estate FAILED To specify which 60 of the 273 seconds in Cage’s piece had been pilfered.
xepher puts the SEXY in DYSLEXIA

My Music!
FreeBASIC rox hard

Databits

It should, in all honesty, be completely against the law to trademark ANY phrase in ANY language. That's be like me putting a pattent on something like "++" in C++, or the use of a block if statement. People will still use it, and people honestly won't give a shit.

But the american court is just as much at fault. As apparently there isn't a judge yet who's been bright enough to claim bullshit and throw the case out.
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

gracey

That's just ridiculous! I mean, the best form of flattery is imitation; the best way to remember a time in your life is the songs and media that surrounded it; and all of that stuff will be prevented because people want money.

So what if someone utters pieces of a good Martin Luther speech or sings happy birthday? They should be grateful those things don't just vanish in time like other more important "intellectuality" or signs of times. Take it easy is what say about it.

"I got you babe" patented for copyright till 2064 or something. I don't know anyone who sings it anyway. I mean, that doesn't want a swift kick in the groin for being a lame-o.
"Watch it Jeff, she's packing ovaries!" - Patrick, Coupling

thefemnazi

oops, I wonder how much money I owe the Luther King Jr. estate for teaching his speech?

Information wants to be free!  I shall continue to teach my pirate ways to the youth of today.
"The world is not safe for my butt!" -Spongebob Squarepants

I worship Pantsless O'Clock.

Databits

Well I'm also in full belief that things like the Martin Luther King Jr. speech should be free by LAW. Simply because it's important history, and you should NOT be able to claim legal ownership over historical facts.

Thus that foundation can kiss my ass in that reguard. It's just some kids trying to get rich off of a great man. What do you think Dr. King would have thought about his own bloodline doing that?
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]