News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Job!

Started by Xepher, July 10, 2006, 10:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xepher

Heheheh... I'm not THAT stupid, though the hatred last week was at peak levels that allowed me to at least entertain such ideas. I've calmed down a bit over the weekend though, and won't be doing anything too rash. Thanks for the concern/advice all the same though. See, when I was talking about quitting, I thought I did have something lined up... all the references to "plans" and such. Plan A fell through though, at least for a few months. I'm waiting for a couple paychecks before I can try Plan B. If and when that starts working, only then will I quit.

Sorry for the vageries, but some of it involves family business and whatnot. Hope you understand.

otrstf

Good to hear. Plans are good! Be carefull if you get down to "Plan IX", as I hear there've been problems with that one ;)
My sister's husband was laid off (network eng in the 'springs), so I've been in automatic 'job counsellor" mode all week.  Best of luck.

Databits

Honestly man, you're good at it, why don't you do web programming?? Take it from me, it makes some damn good money, and you can sit at home at your own desk doing it.
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

Xepher

Because I honestly have no idea how to get work. I mean, it's not like you can just put up a website and have people knocking on your proverbial door. I figure you probably need to be connected to whatever community is out there for it, and I'm not. Though if you have any pointers on the "accquiring clients" end of things, I'm about ready to try anything.

Why is that, you ask? Well, I went to work yesterday at 8am. Guess what time I got to leave... 7:30am. Today. I was at work for almost 24 hours. I mean, what do you do when you're scheduled for 7pm to 1am, and your boss says that "Oh, that's in addition to your regular 8-5pm." Then again at 10pm or so, when things are falling apart, and they decide to shut it down. "We need someone to guard the trailers overnight. How you feel about sleeping here?" I started to say no, but then he said I'd need to be in at noon the next day then... when I honestly wansn't scheduled until 8pm. Since my shift is ending three hours short, he's saying I have to come in 8 hours earlier for the next one, or spend another 8 hours there and then I get the next day off. I mean, if I'd gone home, I would've done nothing but go to bed, get up, and go to work again. That's fracking BS after an already 14-hour long shift. So I "slept" there. The sleeping part didn't work so well of course, so when I got home this morning, I fell right asleep and just now woke up. I'm still sore, because yesterday was 14 hours of heavy lifting, moving and installing equpment in these trailers. Last I checked, I signed up for a computer tech job. Heck, for that matter, I used my CDL skills from the bus to drive one of the massive trucks too. That definitely wasn't in the job description.

I think I'm gonna try any/all plans I can think of for self-sustaining income, in order to minimize the time between now, and when I can afford to quit this job. For now, I just got to grimace and bear it. :-)

Munerift

Oh crap, sorry to hear that! I can't believe they can even think of making you work those hours. Are you programming for Wally*World or something??!!?? There has to be some type of law against that somewhere for your state...
I'm Home!
MuneRift - DeviantArt - Etsy

Databits

I actually don't go get my own contracts. I'm an outsourced programmer to another contractor. If you look around the net, there are a lot of "small" web design companies that would probably outsource some things to you if you asked.
(o.O)    

Xepher

Data: Interesting. That probably makes things a lot simpler, as you only have to do the work, and not worry with all the customer stuff. I'll look into it.

Mune: Heheh... It feels like wally world. I work for a company called UCS (universal computer services) They've been in the news the past couple days because we just bought out our largest competitor, which was Reynolds & Reynolds. So it is a rather large company. Today, I just got home at 6pm, and I had gone into work at 6am. 12 hour day. And now they're gonna have us working over the weekend too. I'm past the point of anger now. It's so stupid and unbelivable that it's almost funny.

Databits

Quote from: XepherData: Interesting. That probably makes things a lot simpler, as you only have to do the work, and not worry with all the customer stuff. I'll look into it.
Exactly! I never deal directly with clients, I just do the programming. The only problem with this method is that the contractor takes a rather substantial cut of the contracts cost. The upside though, it that you can build up a reputation to go off of.
(o.O)    

Munerift

Why dont you send in an annonomous complaint to the Labor board in Texas and have them drop by for a surprise investigation of both work conditions and worker interviews.
I'm Home!

Gwyn

I'm enjoying the unemployed life!

Well no, no I'm not...and I'm still bitter about that government job that I didn't get.
Pizza party! Pizza for everyone!....who has money?

Xepher

http://www.quityourjobday.com/

It's hilarious! And it makes several good points. I like the "how to quit" section.

Munerift

Oh dear. I'm at work looking at that... eeeeeeek!
I'm Home!

Xepher

Steve Irwin (The Crocodile Hunter) died on Monday. I've been rather depressed by that, as he was one of my personal heroes, and the world seems a colder place without him. But his death (and what a freakishly unpossible way to go that was!) got me to thinking. Even though he died in (arguably) the prime of his life, he still did more with his life than most people could if they lived to be 1000. He died doing what he loved. That thought, and this song I heard...

Quote from: "Jonathan Coulton - A Talk With George"Don’t live another day unless you make it count
There’s someone else that you’re supposed to be
There’s something deep inside of you that still wants out
And shame on you if you don’t set it free.
(BTW, awesome artist. Get the free MP3 and full lyrics here.)

I know it's cliche, but life is too short to waste. Which brings me back to this thread. I've been complaining for a while now, but I think I'm gonna do it for real this time... And I'm making flyers. :-)

Signs of Addictive Behavior

1. You don't "want" to, but feel you "need" to.
2. You engage in the behavior more than twice a week.
3. You have tried to quit, but found it difficult or impossible.
4. You feel other people expect it of you in order to "fit in."
5. You wake up with nausea, a racing heart, or other physical symptoms.
6. You feel depressed or anxious before, during or after such behavior.
7. You find your behavior negatively impacting your family or social life.
8. You have less appitite and energy throughout the day.
9. You notice you have less tolerance than when you first started.
10. You sometimes feel very depressed and wonder if life is worth living.

If you feel any of the above describe you, and you would like some help and support to try and quit, then mark your calander for September 18th.

Quitting is hard! We can do it better, together!

http://www.quityourjobday.com

Aetre

r.i.p., steve;

he will be missed...
"Not even the Human can stop me now..."

fesworks

I work in the service industry, If we did that, the hotel would probably go under in one day.... also, noone in town may hire us again. I have too strong of a work ethic.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com