News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Sylph

Started by sylph, July 26, 2006, 06:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sylph

Desired Username: Sylph

E-mail: spottedwind87@yahoo.com

Hello! To introduce myself, my name is Julia [ though you can call me Jo ] and I would like to  create a site to host my literature [ such as poetry, short stories, etc. ] and occasional artwork/contests.  More of a personal website in which you can view my work and updates, it wouldn't be much of an interactive site. I doubt I'd be able to make daily updates, but definately reasonably spaced ones in which I could elaborate on my updates and post many things instead of single and multiple updates each day. I am quite young, but am an aspiring writer and am currently working on excersising my writing skills, and a website is just what I need for critique and personal use so I can keep record of what I've written and drawn/doodled. I've been looking for a permanent host like Xepher to attact viewers, and I believe that Xepher would be a wonderful place to be. I am convinced by this well formed and organized Forum and Site that provides much information.

My work is perdominately poetry, but I am currently working on a new plot for a new story.

My Allpoetry Account -- http://allpoetry.com/sylph87

My personal favorites include [Newest to oldest]

Immortal Love Is Held Within Mortal Hearts [ http://allpoetry.com/Poem/2141248 ] mostly because of how the poem was uniquely inspired and has a deep, poetic meaning.

Autumn's Aurora [ http://allpoetry.com/Poem/2088297 ] because I liked how it turned out even it was my first time using this style and I don't normally write poems with a rhyme scheme.

Paint me a Portrait [ http://allpoetry.com/Poem/2046401 ] Imagery and rhyme scheme once more.

Where the Grass is Just a Bit Greener [ http://allpoetry.com/Poem/2042416 ] Imagery, wording, and just my sense of poetry, though the rhythm could use a lot of work.

Beauty [ http://allpoetry.com/Poem/2040145 ] Doesn't really hold any moral to it, but tells more of a story of faith and - well, care to read the comments? My second elaboration seems better than my first on the comments column.

The Eyes of Man [ http://allpoetry.com/Poem/2039049 ] Again, a story-like poem that was inspired by my wandering thoughts.

I Wondered Why [ http://allpoetry.com/Poem/2038997 ] This particular poem means a whole lot to me. The poem itself tells its and my own story, and maybe it's a bit juevinile and mediocre, but its from personal experience. I entered this poem into Reflections and got into the District round.

Cabalistic [ http://allpoetry.com/Poem/2038877 ] One of my first, real poems that held a special moral.

[NOTE : not all of the poems I have written over time are on my Allpoetry account, but are kept on paper.]

I cannot show you any of my art because my computer that holds them has crashed, and my dad does not wish for me to use it.

For my 7th grade English Portfolio [English Final] we were instructed to gather assignments we did and hand it in. As an optional, I wrote a short story -1st person view- called 'The Devil's Eyes'. The story was based on a dog's life at home, and his life when he is bought off by a 'dogman', better known as dogfighters. Strongly against animal abuse, my story exposed some evils of dog fighting. The climax was my character in his last battle, a loose description of a dog fight. I could only say that this story is not entirely finished seeing that -uhm- I left it to last minute, it made a great short SHORT story, but would have made an even better short stories that went from 3 pages to about 7 or 8. Unfortunately, along with my scanned art, my short story has been deleted from the computer and this general synopsis is all I can give you which further shrinks that chance of my being accepted I suppose :/.

HTML ::
I know the basics of HTML and regular HTML [ as you can see, I'm no whiz though ], and the best for a website I can do is make splash pages. But if you gave me a pre-made website, I'd know how to edit it. I could take a whack at tables or ask one of my close friends if they could help me make a website for me, so I'm not totally concerned about this.

I suppose that's it for now.
If you have any more questions, feel free to contact me at my said e-mail address.

Thank you very much for reading,
Jo
Immortal love is held within mortal hearts
<3.<3

tickyhead

Alright, I'm really bad at poetry so I won't critique any of it (let someone else who actually knows poetry do that) but there are two things I would like to point out.

First, I've said this so many times, usernames can't have capital letters. They are your URL (yourname.xepher.net) and URLs and capital letters don't mix. This is a minor thing, but it's laid out in the rules or guidelines or something, so I'm just clarifying.

Second, you'll have a hard time getting in without a temporary website that YOU made. Xepher doesn't do the "pre-made" thing, you see. So find some free hosting (is atspace.com what everyone else is reccomending? I forget...) and show us what you can do on your own. If you don't know much HTML, look for a tutorial or two to help out. (yaaay google!)

Other than that, all I can say is "good luck."

...also, how exactly is that email spam-proofed? This has nothing to do with the application.....I'm just....confused. Maybe I should wait until I'm actually awake before posting stuff.
I don't hate everyone, I'm just very, very disappointed in them.

sylph

Oh yes, thanks for the username critique. Guess I must've overlooked or forgot that.

Uhm, I don't think my e-mail had spam proof in front of it, or it did, just doesn't now.

Oh, maybe when I wrote "But if you gave me a pre-made website, I'd know how to edit it." it sounded literal .. But I meant, if I downloaded a pre-made layout, I'd know how to edit it. As for an example?

http://www.freewebs.com/sylphnymph/

But that was when I had Photoshop :/ ..
<3.<3

tickyhead

well, it shows you know how to use HTML, so for me everything looks fine. The size leaves something to be desired, but whatever. Then again I'm not the big cheese around here, so you'll just have to wait and see what everyone else thinks.

But be happy! You passed the first trial: me! :D *dun-de-dun!* (I went easy on you ;))

Also, don't mind my random comments. I say (type?) weird things now and then.
I don't hate everyone, I'm just very, very disappointed in them.

sylph

Heh, thanks . .? And yay? x3

Oh, same here [: You aren't alone.
<3.<3

fesworks

Well there certainly is room for improvement with the HTML.

I'm not so much on Poetry unless its a certain kind, but that is a personal preference, and I would not be a good critic of your poetry (to like them), but what i can see you write well, and a couple are ok, but like with my webcomic its not so much that others like it, but rather the creator likes it and sticks with what they want to do.

So those are my thoughts, Windy ;)

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Xepher

FYI, you don't have to "spam proof" your email if you don't want. I just let people know it's okay if they do. Capital letters in a user name... I'll usually just ignore that. It'll be all lowercase if/when it gets added though. Which doesn't really matter for a username like "sylph" but for people like "HammersForLife" (or something) it makes less sense if it's all lower case.

Anyway, on to the app... Sadly, I don't have time to review poetry right now, so just hang out for a while until I get to that. About websites... yes, as ticky pointed out, all your links are allpoetry.com, nothing showing a site you actually made. There are no templetes, generators, or page layout tools here. You have to put up something of your own. I'm not looking for web-design gurus, I just want to know that if I like your content, that you can come up with a presentation (web site) of equal quality. Thus, I would like to see an example of such.

sylph

Alright [: Right now, I'm attempting to make a small splash page with minimal design to place all my poetry and writing on. It'll be done mm, maybe give it about half an hour to an hour.

Thanks.
<3.<3

sylph

Oops, I lied. I had to get off the computer in the middle of making my layout due to severe thunderstorms in our area. I'm back on and finishing a drawing for the layout and then I have to scan it and then get all my poetry on it >> Yup .. might take awhile.
<3.<3

fesworks

Oh, I guess noone got it, but When I made my post, I wasn;t being insulting by calling you "windy" I was just playing off of your name "Sylph".

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

dragyn

Heh, I just assumed it was a reference to some obscure bit of media...silly me.

fesworks

Sylph is the Goddess of Wind ;)

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

sylph

Yup [: or simply/generally a nymph that has air as its element.
<3.<3

dragyn

Or, in the Final Fantasy series, Sylph are a group of three fairies, who, together, are the God of Wind.

Sorry, it just begged to be said.

sylph

Ohh, I didn't know that Sylphs were used in video games, especially one as popular as Final Fantasy.

Well, since I'm STILL working on my layout [ Was pissed at parents and, thus, was not allowed on computer ], maybe I should just tell you what MY sylph is .. Well, I should, but to tell you the truth, I don't have it thoroughly planned out yet x: But I can tell you that the sylph's build is based on the cheetah .. yup. [: Much more than that, but I've got to go to Shelter Island now.

Toodles [:
<3.<3