News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Project Wonderful advertising

Started by reinder, November 08, 2006, 04:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragyn

Eh...not really a problem.  I'll just throw it out wherever $0 is enough.

reinder

That's pretty much how I work. I got some up at http://www.webcomicsnation.com/reinder as well, by the way, and I'll soon ad in a second ad box on Rogues of Clwyd-Rhan. Even though the first one isn't bringing in that much money yet, I think I ought to experiment and see what works.
Reinder Dijkhuis
Rogues of Clwyd-Rhan | Waffle

reinder

I've opened a second and third front in my struggle to get paid advertising: new Project Wonderful ad slots are now available on Chronicles of the Witch Queen (off Xepher.net) and more importantly, above the fold on ROCR.net. The new ROCR ads should also appear on all sidecomics and thus get many more pageviews than the older ones. Can't say the same about COTWQ, at least not yet.

Get them while they're free, folks!
Reinder Dijkhuis

reinder

Last time I post something like this, promised:

My bids have been dropping lately, and I need money for more computing equipment! Many spots still going for $ 0.10! Bid! Bid! Bid!

....yes, I can be such a whore at times.
Reinder Dijkhuis

fesworks

I'm out on funds, and don't have the cash to upload for more ads (anywhere) at the moment... I'm saving up for actual site adds that have their own banners... either that or restart my TWCL avatar ad.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

reinder

Because Xepher will ask about this eventually:
My PW ads are doing about as well as I could reasonably expect. I think they're still somewhat undervalued compared to other ad blocks that rake in the same number of page views, but meh. There's probably a reason that I haven't figured out yet. It's in the ballpark with other 10,000 pageviews/day sites.

However, I spend much more through PW than I earn - which is one of the reasons the ROCR comics now get 10,000 pageviews a day. Whether this is worth it, financially at least, really depends on how the google ads are doing. I don't know until I either get the home PC working again, which I don't want to spend too much time on right now, or until Google sends me their next payout. It's unlikely to be big money anyway.

For my ego, on the other hand, having more than 10,000 pageviews (on the comics archive - the blog is not counted in this) is doing me a lot of good.
Reinder Dijkhuis

fesworks

That's cool. My ads must not look good enough for people to click. I have not been approved to have the ability to host ads... perhaps I'm too small of a site, but then I wonder how some of these other sites got approved.

Perhaps I am not advertsing on the right sites... the ones that may have a similar audience to my own... Oh well.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

reinder

Maybe you need to prod Ryan North a bit. That sometimes happens.
Reinder Dijkhuis

Xepher

Reinder: Heheh... I'm always curious. :-) Glad to here you've gotten some more viewers at least.

Fesworks: I haven't seen your ads, but I do know that with a lot of the small PW ads, I can hardly tell what they heck they're even for. Half the time I don't know if it's a comic an ad for t-shirts, or an electronics dealer. Get some people who know nothing about what you do to look at your ads and tell you what they think. See if they work on them.

fesworks

Hmm, I think I'll make it a GIF and animate it saying its a webcomic or something... I've been getting a few clicks here and there, but I have not paid for too many ads on the bigger sites. ROCR gave me the most clicks... only about 6 for a few days though :P.. that and Kitty Litter was good. I might try Questionable Content and Girly... I think Darken got on there too.. I think I'll have to re-search the bids for webcomics again... but right now I've been grabbing a bunch of the super cheap ones and new ones... to feel out certain types of sites... Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and go for those bigger ones.

these are the strips I have:

and when space is Available:

perhaps they could use some reworking.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Xepher

Yeah, if they don't charge more for animated ads, definitely do that. Not only does it get a little more attention, it also gives you more virtual "space" to display stuff. The big banner is good, it actually lets me know what I'm clicking on, and has a semi-clever tag-line to draw me in. Do something like that for the small ads. I'd avoid the acronym PSI, as it sounds like the greek letter, or the mind-reading stuff you'd expect in sci-fi... or is it psi-phi? :-)

fesworks

oh crap, I forgot to put the decimals in the small ad... I wanted to nix the original title because it was too depressing (and long), and it is nowhere near a depressing comic as what I originally intended (ironically doing the comic made me less depressed :P )

I suppose I should just bill Fes and Ernst and avoid the name of the comic in the ads.

I have to be a bit creative with that small one though... don't wanna loko like its too crammed with info and not to flashy and flickery (I skip those because they are annoying).

Anyways, I'm down of funds for right now... I'll do a bit more research on certain sites, but I wanna try and get an ad on a Top Web Comics sometime too... With this Arc I am doing now... this is my big thing that might be interesting enough to get more of an audience than that camping saga :P I just bought an avatar at at The Webcomic List, That got a lot of trafic last time.

By the way, as long as we are in here, on a side note, the commission I bought from Suku Suku (http://suku.xepher.net) is coming along super awesomely! she showed me the sketch today! Too bad she is stuck with school stuff for a while.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

reinder

I'm taking a short break from advertising (I've simply let my funds run out) to evaluate, see how much lasting difference my ads have made and how far my numbers will drop back without any further advertising (preliminary answer: quite far). I'll top up my funds in a few days, but I just might wait before bidding on new ads until after the weekend, because there's a change on the way in the ROCR site that just might affect how I promote it for several months to come. We'll see.

It does look like a drop in visibility results in  a drop in ad bids quite quickly. I still think my ads are undervalued, but that might just be my ego talking.
Reinder Dijkhuis

fesworks

Yay! I recently got approved! I'm gonna try this for a while and see how it goes.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

fesworks

aka, Reinder, get yourself a free spot on mine ;) :P

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com