News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Domain Name Hosting Advice

Started by Munerift, January 22, 2007, 09:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xepher

*still regrets not getting xepher.com when it was available.

Xepher

Fes, I just added the ardracomic.com domain, so it's good to go whenever.

Gwyn

is xepher.com still that lame web services site?
Pizza party! Pizza for everyone!....who has money?

Munerift

It played ewwwie music so I closed it right away before I could see anything.

So it really is helpful to have the .com & .net? I really kind of like the whole .net thing though... ?? It would be wonderful to see Mune Studios take off, but the realistic side of me steps up and has to think that in all probability, I'll probably end up continuing down this same 'barter for my services' route that I'm on right now. ...but in barter defense... man these chiro sessions are wonderful!
I'm Home!
MuneRift - DeviantArt - Etsy

griever

Expiration date June 3rd, 2007 and it doesn't look like it's been maintained.  Or else some larger group is parking their butts there and waiting.

But as long as we're drifting...Xepher, is it possible to have 2 domains point to two different subfolders here?
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)

fesworks

Quote from: Xepher*still regrets not getting xepher.com when it was available.
Pffft, forget it. I like "XepherNet".. Its a cool network of art and creativity ;) :)

Quote from: XepherFes, I just added the ardracomic.com domain, so it's good to go whenever.
Awesome, Thank you :)

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Xepher

Right, it's definitely Xepher.net, but by having the .com and .org, you secure it from people that might ruin your image or whatnot. I've got the .org, and the .net... the .com got renewed the day before it's expiration last time as well. I'm gonna try to snag it again though if it goes up for sale.

Griever: It is, but not through my automation/setup alone. The hosting system points all domainnames you have to your account itself. You can add apache config file (.htaccess) files to do rewrite rules based upon which domain name was used, and do things like redirect to a particular folder or something. It's more complicated that I was willing to automate, considering how little use I would have for it, but it's not too complicated if you have a basic understanding of how URL and filesystem space map to each other. (Which in itself makes it sound more complicated than it is.)

griever

Hmm, that's a shame.  I hope that they don't renew this year.  It seems kind of wasteful to pay for a name you're not using and a site that appears to be dead.  Do you think they're hoping you might come along and make them an offer?

Re: the second domain - Okay, I think I've seen some information rewrite rules...would I still give you the domain name for whatever you need to do, or would it just be handled through the htaccess file?  Maybe I should just use Yahoo's redirection option.

Xepher

If you set it up here, yes, it's just like the first domain name you add, I have to set it up in the DNS, Mail, and Web server systems. Then you can add a rewrite rule to .htaccess that will redirect a particular domain away from your main page and to whatever directory you want. If you go the yahoo option, you don't need to do any of that, but I can't run email or anything for your domain either.

griever

fesworks

Is it possible to make my "fesandernst.com" to forward to "http://fesworks.xepher.net/home.php", I mean if it's possible and not too much trouble, of course? I'd be grateful :) But if too complicated or not possible, no biggie, I can work around it.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Xepher

It doesn't "forward" to any particular page. It's another domain name. fesworks.xepher.net is a domain name, and it's the same as fesandernst.com is. Besides, aren't they the same thing anyway? I can't tell a difference in the pages. If you really need that to happen though, it's not a complicated rewrite rule to put in .htaccess.

EDIT:
See http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/misc/rewriteguide.html for the full thing, but basically you probably just need this.

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}   ^(www.)fesandernst.com [NC]
RewriteRule ^/$         http://fesandernst.com/home.php [R,L]
Basically the first line says "the hostname that was used is fesandernst.com", the second line says "the requested file was just / (the root directory) so redirect [R] it to home.php instead and that this should be the last rule it runs [L].

fesworks

Well, I had to make "index.php" and "home.php" the same after I got the domain over here... I was just trying to avoid recoding a million pages to point to "index.php" instead of "home.php" :P

Thanks for the info, I'll look into this once I get a chance to play with it :)

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com